New York State Education Department (NYSED)
Award to a New York PreK-12 teacher to recognize outstanding contributions to public education. This program seeks to honor and celebrate the exceptionally passionate and skilled educators serving students within the state. The selected recipient will go on to be considered in the national pool. The purpose of this program is to:
-Support the development of programs throughout the State that recognize great teachers in their schools;
-Engage exemplary teachers in professional development by completing the New York State Teacher of the Year application; and
-Identify and celebrate one teacher per year as the New York State Teacher of the Year who will represent all of New York State teachers at events throughout the State and at national events with Teachers of the Year from across the United States.
The individuals selected to serve as State Teachers of the Year are the ambassadors for the teaching profession across New York State and will lead by their passion for teaching. The New York State Teacher of the Year is provided with numerous professional development opportunities. In addition, schools and districts may also experience several of the other benefits of the Teacher of the Year Program, such as:
- Day of honor and learning for the New York State Teacher of the Year;
- Information and technical support for principals about how to prepare and support excellent teachers;
- Visit by the Commissioner of Education in the classroom and school of the New York State Teacher of the Year;
- Coaching for other teachers on instructional approaches;
- Every student, teacher, and parent in every school in the State will know that their school has exemplary teachers who are recognized for their craft; and
- Meet the President of the United States.
GrantWatch ID#: 178321
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Electronic applications are preferred and should be sent as one pdf file to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hard-copy applications may be sent to:
Teacher of the Year Program
NYSED, Office of Curriculum and Instruction
89 Washington Ave.
Albany, New York 12234
USA: New York City; New York