Foundation / Corporation
02/01/19 11:59 PM (PST)
Grants valued at $67,000 to USA and territories, Canada, Puerto Rico, and Mexico educational institutions for specially designed classrooms to promote active learning. Funding is intended to provide furniture, training, and learning environment evaluation measurement tools for classrooms serving up to 30 students in schools (grades 6-12), colleges, universities, libraries, and media centers. Eligible institutions are those that focus primarily on formal, instructor-led learning in a designated classroom.
Steelcase Education has a passion for understanding how teaching and learning best takes place and how smarter, active learning spaces can help. That is, therefore, the focus of Steelcase's research and innovation in furniture and tools for learning spaces to advance active learning. To that end, Steelcase Education is offering a grant for an active learning classroom. Each grant includes furniture, design review, installation, onsite training and a Learning Environment Evaluation measurement tool.
Steelcase Education partners with schools, colleges and universities to create effective, inspiring learning environments to meet the evolving needs of students and educators. Learning happens everywhere, and so the solutions span classrooms, libraries, cafés – and many spaces in between. Steelcase helps create active learning ecosystems that recognize the independencies between pedagogy, technology and space – and support and strengthen all three as an integrated whole.
Any change can be challenging – including the change from passive to active learning strategies. Because intructors play a pivotal role in leading this change, Steelcase offers onsite training to help them make the most of settings designed to support active learning. The training will take place prior to the beginning of classes in the new classroom and will be conducted at the school with additional online training support (i.e., videos, webinars, etc.). Any educator within the recipient institution may audit the training.
Grant recipients choose from four types of classrooms designed for up to 30 students each.
1. Active Classroom: Listening. Collaboration. Independent reading. With a variety of flexible furniture choices, this classroom invites students and instructors to adjust the environment to suit the flow of learning throughout a class period. Tables and chairs easily move to form different configurations or flip and stow out of the way for maximum agility.
2. Collaborative Classroom: Learning improves when students have an opportunity to work together and share. This classroom’s flexible settings support collaboration amongst groups of varying sizes. Modular, flexible furnishings combine in a variety of ways, giving collaborators a high degree of control over their interactions.
3. STEM Classroom: This varied, flexible setting is designed to facilitate the hands-on experimentation and problem solving that STEM projects demand. Tools and furnishings work together helping students create, ideate and build together.
4. Flexible Classroom: Learning needs vary by the person and the moment. This flexible classroom offers a wide range of shared group and individual spaces to support diverse learning needs. Students can find a space that works for them based on their task, preference and mood.
(For additional information and classroom features/specifications supported by the grant, see the Grant Proposal Guide listed in Supporting Documents below.)
Steelcase will evaluate and select proposals from institutions that best demonstrate these characteristics and attributes:
- Academic institutions that focus primarily on formal, instructor-led learning in designated classrooms
- Educational strategies of the institution that align with active learning philosophies
- Robust plans for completion of research as described in this guide
- Thoughtful and comprehensive plans to disseminate learnings over the two-year grant cycle
- Overall quality of the proposal (describing the anticipated impact an active learning space will have on the learning experience and ultimately student success)
GrantWatch ID#: 184590
Up to 16 grants are awarded per year.
Grants are valued at $67,000.
The grant program has a two-year grant award cycle. Grant recipients agree to provide sufficient dedicated space, participate in Steelcase training onsite at the recipient institution, and conduct and share research over the two-year period.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online application portal: https://steelcase.smapply.io/acc/l/?next=/prog/106213/apply/
For assistance or questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon
International country outside of the USA, Israel and Canada.