Foundation / Corporation
Burroughs Wellcome Fund (BWF)
02/15/19 4:00 PM Eastern
Grants to USA and Canada degree-granting institutions for programs that provide training opportunities and support for physicians to pursue successful careers as independent investigators. Eligible programs are those that are innovative, have a prominent research component, involve enthusiastic and passionate staff, and are sustainable.
BWF’s Physician-Scientist Institutional Award provides funding over five years to degree-granting institutions to increase the number of single degree M.D.’s who enter research.
The PSIA advisory committee will review novel and innovative proposals that demonstrate how institutions will utilize a grant from BWF that outlines opportunities and support for the M.D. (only) to pursue training that will enable her/him to launch and continue a successful career as an independent investigator. Ten to 12 finalists will be selected and will be required to come to BWF headquarters for an interview.
- How will the program increase the number of single degree M.D.’s who establish research careers?
- How will the institution support the program?
- How does the program reflect a commitment to diversity and inclusion, and to developing and training a diverse group of future M.D. (only) researchers?
- How will the program measure outcomes and use feedback from those measures to improve and refine the program?
- Is the program potentially scalable as a model for other institutions?
GrantWatch ID#: 182683
Up to five awards will be made in this program cycle.
The grant period is from Sept. 1, 2019 to Aug. 31, 2024.
Awards are made to degree-granting institutions in the U.S. or Canada.
- BWF will not support programs that offer Ph.D.’s. or significantly increase the number of years to independence.
- Indirect costs may not be charged against BWF grants. Salaries of support personnel and materials appropriate to administering the program should be included as direct costs.
- Application deadline - February 15, 2019, 4:00 pm Eastern
- Finalist in-person Interviews - May 16 or 17, 2019
- Notice of award - by May 24, 2019
- Award start date - September 1, 2019
- Award end date - August 31, 2024
A proposal consists of data entry fields submitted through the online Internet Grant Application Module (IGAM).
Ten to twelve finalists will be selected and will be required to come to BWF headquarters in Research Triangle Park, NC for an interview. Up to five awards will be made in this program cycle.
During the award period, unused funds may be carried over to the succeeding year. During the award period, spending rates will vary, therefore, BWF will allow justified no-cost extensions.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
To apply online:
General inquiries should be directed to:
John Burris, President
Rolly Simpson, Senior Program Officer
Questions on electronic submission to:
Debra Holmes, Senior Program Associate
Kendra Tucker, Senior Program Assistant
Burroughs Wellcome Fund
21 T.W. Alexander Drive
PO Box 13901
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709-3901
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon