U.S. Department of Justice - Office on Violence Against Women (OVW)
01/31/19 11:59 PM ET
Grants to USA and territories nonprofits, Territorial organizations, Tribal governments and organizations, and publicly funded organizations to increase legal services available for victims of gender-based violence. Applicants must initiate required registrations two weeks before applying.
The Legal Assistance for Victims (LAV) Grant Program is intended to increase the availability of civil and criminal legal assistance needed to effectively aid adult and youth victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking by providing funds for comprehensive direct legal services to victims in legal matters relating to or arising out of that abuse or violence. Comprehensive legal services should, as much as possible, extend beyond representation in emergency and non-emergency protection order hearings to address the broad spectrum of legal issues that victims encounter, including family matters such as divorce, child custody or child support, immigration, administrative agency proceedings, and consumer or housing matters.
Pursuant 34 U.S.C. § 20121(c), funds under this program must be used for one or more of the following purposes:
1. To implement, expand, and establish cooperative efforts and projects between sexual assault, domestic violence, and dating violence victim service providers and legal assistance providers to provide legal assistance for victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking.
2. To implement, expand, and establish efforts and projects to provide legal assistance for victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking by organizations with a demonstrated history of providing direct legal or advocacy services on behalf of these victims.
3. To implement, expand, and establish efforts and projects to provide competent supervised pro bono legal assistance for victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, or stalking, except that not more than 10 percent of the funds awarded may be used for this purpose.
OVW Priority Areas
In FY 2019, OVW is interested in supporting the priority areas identified below. Applications proposing activities in the following areas will be given special consideration.
1. Reduce violent crime against women and promote victim safety.
2. Increase the response to victims of human trafficking.
3. Increase efforts to combat stalking.
GrantWatch ID#: 166867
OVW estimates that it will make up to 54 awards.
This program typically makes awards in the range of $600,000 - $800,000.
Funding levels under this program for FY 2019 are:
1. New and Continuation LAV Grant Program applications that are proposing to provide legal services primarily to victims domestic violence or to provide less than 80% of the project’s legal services to victims of sexual assault may request up to $600,000 for the entire 36-month project period.
2. New and Continuation LAV Grant Program applications that are submitted by sexual assault victim service providers that are proposing to provide 80% or more of the project’s legal services to victims of sexual assault, beyond intimate partner sexual assault, may request up to $800,000 for the entire 36-month project period.
The award period is 36 months. Budgets must reflect 36 months of project activity, and the total “estimated funding” on the SF-424 must reflect 36 months. Generally, the award period will start on October 1, 2019.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
For assistance with the requirements of this solicitation contact the following: for programmatic questions, contact the POC for this program at (202)307-6026 or firstname.lastname@example.org, for financial questions, contact (202)307-6026 or email@example.com.
Katharine Sullivan, Acting Director
Office on Violence Against Women
The Grants.gov Help Desk can be reached at 1-800-518-4726 and is available 24/7, except federal holidays.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: American Samoa (USA) Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA) Virgin Islands (USA) Northern Mariana Islands (USA)